Programs > Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support
Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support (DSMES) programs are evidence-based and proven to help people with diabetes manage their diabetes. DSMES is cost-effective and can help improve health behaviors and health outcomes. Costs are covered by Medicare and some insurance companies.
- Taught by a Certified Diabetes Educator
- Focuses on improving clinical outcomes
- Tailored to the needs of the individual
- Can be one-on-one or group classes
- DSMES is available through doctors’ offices, other healthcare providers, Indian Health Service (IHS), community centers, assisted living facilities and other settings. Some sites offer telehealth and other virtual options.
- People with type 2 diabetes
- Needs a healthcare provider referral