Programs > Tai Chi for Arthritis
Tai Chi for Arthritis was created by the Tai Chi for Health Institute. The essential principles include mind integrated with the body; control of movements and breathing; generating internal energy and mindfulness. Medical studies show this program relieves arthritis pain, prevents falls in older adults and improves overall health. This falls prevention exercise program is recommended and approved by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Small group workshop led by a certified instructor
- 1 hour per session
- 8 to 16 sessions
- Participants are physically active, but classes can be modified for different abilities such as holding a chair for support.
- Community settings such as senior centers, community centers or a local medical facility
- This intervention is recommended for older adults at risk of falls or comorbidities.
- Participants experience improved muscle strength, flexibility, balance and mobility. Some find a reduction of joint pain and stiffness.
- Additional benefits include improved relaxation, vitality, posture and increased immunity.