News & Updates
YMCA Offers Specials for October and November
Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Program
During October, the YMCA of Central New Mexico is offering free registration for its Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Program. Call (505) 595-1515 to register. Download a flyer here.
Starting in November, the YMCA of Central New Mexico is offering a free online Nutrition Seminar via Zoom that’s open to everyone. Call (505) 595-1515, ext 4013, to register. Download a flyer here.
Falls Prevention Awareness Week is September 21-25
The New Mexico Department of Health Adult Falls Prevention Program, New Mexico Adult Falls Prevention Coalition and the Department of Senior Affairs will be promoting older adult falls prevention throughout the month of September. Please join us and learn how to reduce your falls risk. Falling is NOT a normal part of aging.
Falls Prevention Fridays
A series of free virtual events for seniors will take place on Fridays throughout September. These events will be presented via Zoom and are designed to help seniors learn how to reduce their chances of a fall, and to improve balance. For more information and how to register, click here.
Assess Your Risk of Falls
Answer 12 questions to assess your risk of falls and receive a personalized report to share with your healthcare provider.
Learn More About How to Reduce Your Chances of A Fall
Attend a National Council on Aging Facebook panel discussion to learn more about how to reduce your chances of a fall:
- Falls Free CheckUp Chat on Facebook
September 23 at 4:30pm MDT
- Spanish Falls Free CheckUp Chat on Facebook
September 24 at 4:30pm MDT
Can’t get to an in-person workshop?
During this time of social distancing, five additional Paths to Health New Mexico workshops will be available through distance learning – either by phone or via your electronic device with an internet connection. These workshops are:
- National Diabetes Prevention Program Distance Learning
- Tai Chi for Arthritis for Falls Prevention Distance Learning
- Tai Ji Quan: Moving for Better Balance Distance Learning
- Chronic Disease Self-Management Program Distance Learning
- Tomando Control de su Salud (Spanish CDSMP) Distance Learning
- Cancer: Thriving and Surviving Program Distance Learning
- Chronic Pain Self-Management Program Distance Learning
- Diabetes Self-Management Program Distance Learning
- Programa de Manejo Personal del Dolor Crónico (Spanish DSMP) Distance Learning
- Kitchen Creations Distance Learning
- Creaciones de la Cocina (Spanish Kitchen Creations) Distance Learning
- YMCA Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Program Distance Learning
Visit the Find a Class page for more information.
Learn about our Spanish-language programs
Edna Hutchison, a Program Manager at the Presbyterian Center for Community Health in Albuquerque, delivers Chronic Disease Self-Management Education Program workshops in Spanish. Recently, she made a live presentation on the Facebook page for the Mexican Consulate in Albuquerque to explain these valuable programs. To view Edna’s presentation, click here.
Response to COVID-19
To learn the most up-do-date information about COVID-19 in New Mexico, click here.
NEW resources available to promote the Diabetes Prevention Program
The Centers for Disease Control has developed bundles of materials that can be used to promote (1) health messaging for individuals and (2) the Diabetes Prevention Program with Medicare beneficiaries, employers and insurers. Click here to learn more.