Training > Self-Management Programs Workshop Leader
The Chronic Disease Self-Management Education Programs (CDSMEP) include five programs, each in English and Spanish. They are:
- Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP)
- Diabetes Self-Management Program (DSMP)
- Cancer: Thriving and Surviving Program (CTSP)
- Chronic Pain Self-Management Program (CPSMP)
- Positive Self-Management Program for HIV (PSMP)
- Tomando Control de su Salud
- Programa de Manejo Personal de la Diabetes
- Cáncer: Triunfando y Sobreviviendo
- Programa de Manejo Personal del Dolor Crónico
- Programa de Manejo Personal del VIH
All are peer-led education programs that are six weeks in length and can be offered in a variety of community settings. Sessions are led by two certified Workshop Leaders, at least one of whom has a chronic health condition.
A Workshop Leader can be someone who:
- Has successfully completed a CDSMP workshop and wants to share the program with others;
- Has a chronic health condition or is caring for someone who has a chronic health condition;
- Serves adults, including those with disabilities, who have chronic health condition; and
- Is nonjudgmental, a good listener and feels comfortable talking before groups.
Each Workshop Leader is trained to facilitate CDSMP or Tomando Control de su Salud, then may opt to become cross-trained in additional self-management programs that are available.
Individuals interested in becoming a certified Workshop Leader must attend and successfully complete a four-day certification training facilitated by two certified Master Trainers. Cross-training involves an additional one-day training. Each trainee receives a detailed Leader’s manual, a copy of the workshop’s textbook and audio CDs.
Leader Agreement & Expectations
- Agree to attend and satisfactorily complete all four (4) days of the CDSMP certification training, no exceptions.
- Agree to facilitate a workshop (consists of sic weekly 2/1-hour sessions) within three (3) months of being trained to achieve full certification status.
- Agree to deliver the programs exactly as detailed in the Leader manual as required by the Self-Management Resource Center.
- Agree to facilitate at least one (1) workshop every year to remain certified.
- Agree to collect and report attendance of participants and participant information health status surveys, and other required data.
Find training here.